Friday, October 18, 2013

GONE!


Warning:  This post is about breastfeeding

 Gone like a freight-train, gone like yesterday
Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang
Gone like a '59 Cadillac
Like all the good things that ain't never coming back
She's gone
Probably most don't know what this picture is.  It's a hospital grade breast pump.  I have been pumping exclusively for 10.5 months!  Gah!  I'm so excited that this thing is going back to the hospital and never to be seen again.  I get so giddy thinking about it!

I chose to pump because I went through 12 days of horrible pain while trying to nurse Bryce.  After meeting with a lactation consultant she thought he wasn't sucking right.  This would require doing exercises with him to get him to curve his tongue more and me pumping and syringe feeding along with trying to breastfeed.  At his two week appointment he was not gaining so the pediatrician said I should bottle feed him.  So we bottle fed and I pumped and it just worked that way.  It was a little constrictive because I had to have it with me every 2-3 hrs for a while and getting up and pumping in the middle of the night is a lot less fun than just laying in bed to nurse.  But I did it!  I will pin a rose on my nose and pat myself on the back that I sacrificed comfort for myself to give my kid something better.  And I will push all those selfish things I do for myself under the rug and away from this blog because obviously blogging and facebook are for bragging.

Breastfeeding was always a struggle for me.  I'm pretty sure my older two got barely enough to get by and grow.  Even pumping I only got 2/3 of what Bryce would eat.  But now I can say bye bye to that pump and I'm sure my children will be much happier now that I'm not saying "no I have to pump now".  And my husband will be much happier that our 3 yr old boy is not pretending to pump to feed his baby.

Hopefully soon I will have a post with pictures of our latest camping trip....pump, rain, baby, dirt, no toilets and all.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

You are amazing!! You deserve a free pass to heaven for making sacrifices like that. Breastmilk is worth it,and you gave him a gift that he can't even appreciate until maybe when he's a father, but GREAT JOB, I am so impressed.