Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Not Just Butterflies

I had a guy friend once ask me for advice about marrying a girl. He told me he wanted to marry her but then he saw an old flame and got "butterflies" and wondered if that meant he wasn't supposed to be with the current girl. I told him that butterflies definitely wore off but you better find someone who is committed to you.

When I first started dating Eric, well heck...the two weeks we dated before we got engaged (yes I'm that girl), it was that can't eat, can't sleep, must be with each other all the time feeling. I don't know when that faded away but it did and we got settled down in our life together.

Even though I was told that love is not like it is in the media...I still thought mine would be different. It wasn't. There were lots of compromises and learning about each other. I really thought I knew Eric but there are always new things I am learning about him.

I'm not going to lie...that first year of marriage was tough not to mention full of Eric starting his masters program and me getting pregnant. We learned that we deal with stress differently. We learned alot of things and hopefully Eric learned that I would not stab him in his sleep.

In the short time I have been married (two and a half years) I have learned that the best feeling in marriage for me is the feeling that we have taken care of our home, our boys, and each other. It's not longer the can't eat can't sleep feeling of infatuation but the can't eat can't sleep feeling of I need to do this to provide for my husband and family. I love it. I really feel that Eric and I complete each other no matter how different we see things. We balance each other and when it all clicks it is the most comfortable secure feeling in the world. I am thankful to have such a loving, hard working, dependable, dedicated husband and two cute little boys.

3 comments:

eliza said...

wow. Impressive. I didn't know that you and Eric were engaged after just 2 weeks and have only been married for 2 1/2 years. Way to go!

Samantha said...

I like it. :)

Jared and Nikki said...

I love your words and how you explain the maturation of your love. Congrats on the happy family! Your boys really are adorable!