Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Help and Other Interesting Stories

I recently finished reading the book The Help. I enjoyed reading it even though I've never thought a whole lot about the civil right movement. I felt distant for it but this book was enjoyable. It is mostly about a white lady that writes a book about black house maids. Ahhh my favorite quote would probably be "Down in the national news section there's an article on a new pill, the 'Valium' they are calling it, 'to help women cope with everyday challenges.' God I could use about ten of those little pills right now." Haha...that made me laugh so hard having a new born and a two year old. I took Valium once before I got my wisdom teeth out...I don't know if it would help me cope but it would make me oblivious to my challenges (I'm just joking about all this in case someone really thinks I'm serious).

Anyway that book got me thinking about stories about people's lives. Stories are so interesting. I think a book about stories from missionaries would be so interesting. Not just the spiritual stories but the stories about crazies! I loved my mission and the people of Tennessee but man did we run into some crazies. We once tracted into a man, in a trailer, in a bathrobe with a cloth covering his hand and tied around his wrist. He told us he was having a bet with a Chinese man that if he held soil and a seed in his hand the seed would sprout....ya...wierd. The stories even started before I hit the mission field...in the MTC.

Before entering the MTC I had cracked a small bone in my foot trying to learn the last dance in the movie Centerstage...ya I'm not a dancer. It wasn't a big deal but somehow the health department in the MTC found out about it and decided to use me as a guinea pig. I was called in and a doctor and medical student saw me. I didn't think much at the time but looking back I thought...what the heck were they doing. I sat on the table and the doctor introduced me to the medical student who bytheway was very very good looking. They looked at my foot and had alot of hmmms. "How did this happen?" they ask. "Uh I was dancing," I say. "Oh you are a dancer?" they ask. Ahh now I am getting a bit embarrassed. "No I was just trying to dance," I tell them and it is followed by some more hmms and looking and then they send me out.

I really hope that I have written down all these stories weird and spiritual in my journal.

No comments: