Friday, December 12, 2008

Thanksgiving....take one


I am finally getting to my thanksgiving post. This year for Thanksgiving we spent the day at Eric's parents house. It was just the usual Thanksgiving except I didn't really have to do anything. His mom is pretty much amazing. We showed up about an hour before the meal was supposed to start and she had everything cooked and the kitchen was clean. I don't know how she does it! All I did was bring my favorite jello salad. I know favorite and jello should not be in the same sentence but this is jello with cream cheese, whipped cream, and nuts so I love it. One of the good things about not spending the holiday with my family was I was able to break tradition which is close to blasphemy in my family. I asked my mom for the jello salad recipe and she said something like (paraphrasing here) "You can't have that salad on thanksgiving....that's a Christmas salad....we only have that on Christmas!" Well lucky for me she wouldn't be at dinner to forbid me and I made it anyway...now I have my own tradition. Dinner was good and everything was there. I didn't get to enjoy it as much with Mitchel because I had to break in the middle to feed him.


We spent the rest of the day perusing the newspaper sale ads and construction our gingerbread house. I think that will be our new tradition...to make a gingerbread house on Thanksgiving. I bought a kit from Costco and it was pretty much the best thing ever. Eric was disappointed to find that it was pre-cooked. OF COURSE IT IS! That is the point of a kit. Next year he wants to make his own mansion...we'll see. We did run out of the kit frosting and weren't able to finish it so when we get it done I will post some pictures. It was a very nice relaxing day.

No comments: