Bragging rights that is. And that is pronounced br-A(as in when you say the letter A)-gging. 'Cause that is how we roll in the Northwest!
This is the post I wanted to make earlier...you will see at the end why I have second thoughts.
I don't think I'm one to brag but earlier this morning I just thought I needed to post a blog about how wonderful my kid is. My friend and I have often commented about how we read others blogs and they talk about how wonderful and natural motherhood is. This friend and I have said "they must be hiding something because motherhood seems pretty rough to us sometimes". Today I thought to myself "hey it's not so bad and really you have a good kid".
Mitchel is a blessing. He doesn't really cry much when going down to sleep and if he does it is less than 15 mins. This was something we had to work on and one of those things that wasn't so wonderful and natural about motherhood but when it goes smooth it is the most wonderful thing in the world. For the most part now he sleeps through the night or atleast 6 hours which just seems like forever when compared to those early days of waking up every 3 hours. Again this was something that we worked at but he seemed to catch on pretty quick. Probably the best improvement is going back to sleep after he wakes up to feed at night. I remember the nights when he would just not go back to sleep by himself. I would rock him for an hour and try to put him down only for him to start crying again. I would finally give up and lay down on the couch with him on my stomach and we would both fall asleep. Oh how wonderful it is for him to wake up, eat, and just go back to sleep after I put him down.
Another good thing about Mitchel is he plays well by himself. He's not very needy for attention. I can put him down on the floor next to me while I'm working on something and he will just roll and roll and roll and babble to himself. Again such a difference from the first two months when he had to be held constantly. I am starting to wonder if he will ever crawl. He seems to be content with rolling around the house. He is such a happy smiley guy! I just love him to death. He rarely ever cries unless he is ready to go to sleep. He'll sit on your lap and smile and growl at you for hours. He is really a happy baby. It doesn't matter if I've had a bad day, he is always there to smile at me.
I'm sure there are more, but the last good thing about Mitchel is he is a good eater. Everyone always said "feed him sweet vegetables and fruit last or else he won't like anything else." Quite the opposite with our little guy. He loves loves loves green beans, peas, and prunes. All of the things I thought he wouldn't like. He tolerates and eats everything else but he really gets moving when he gets a taste of one of his favorite three. So far he even humors me by not smearing it all over and making a mess. I'm sure that won't last long.
Now all these things were running through my head this morning and I thought "wow motherhood really isn't as bad as I had remembered". Not that it was horrible but it was a rough transition. I thought the worst thing this kid does is puke all over my shirt during sacrament meeting so that I smell like pears and stomach acid all during primary. What a great kid!
Well....fast forward to this afternoon. Now Mitchel is a great eater but not everything seems to suit his stomach well. Some foods tend to take a little while longer to work through him. Well it had been a few days since something worked through him...if you know what I mean. And I hate kid bathroom stories as much as the next blogger but this just happened on the day I was thinking how wonderfully perfect my little guy was. I walked out of the room for a bit and came back to a funky smell... I picked him up and confirmed the deed had been done. We had a big deed doing early today so I was surprised. I put him on the changing table and unsnapped his pants and horror and disgust ensued!!! My wonderfully perfect kid had the doo doo ria!!! All down his leg!!! Bleck!!!
My theory was confirmed. Nobody's experience in motherhood is all natural and wonderful all the time. But it sure is worth it.
1 comment:
amen sister! we do have wonderful babies. i must agree. because after i complained to you about how lisa was still crying it out and not napping well, things were great today. two 1 1/2 hour naps! that's a new record. yes, crying tonight, but just on and off barely and i'm pretty sure she's done now. last night was horrible. probably wasn't tired enough since we now have afternoon church, she was awake for the whole thing and fell asleep in the car on the way home, so didn't want to sleep when it was time for bed. but really, i'm just a whiner and yes, you're right! Motherhood isn't that bad!!! (As long as you can make it through the first few months of having absolutely no clue about what you're doing) But at least you'll be a pro with number 2!!!
Post a Comment