Tuesday, September 28, 2010

To Move or Not To Move

First of all I don't think I mentioned that my husband graduated with his Masters' in Engineering Management back in August. So here is a shout out to him! Good job honey! I'm very proud and impressed. It was a long, hard 3 yrs of work but he managed it through two job changes and two baby births.

I'm sure our relatives are tired of hearing about this and frankly I am tired of thinking about it but everyday the idea of moving goes through my mind. We have been talking about it for a while now but can't find any really good reasons to move. I am a firm believer in less is more and I personally feel that people just have way way way too much stuff so I really try to keep our "things" limited and really I have to because we have a small house. I think the idea of having a nice big house with wood floors, granite counter tops, art niches...ok maybe no art niches...I think those are weird, but a nicer bigger house just sounds new and exciting to me. We really want to buy 5-10 acres and build a custom home. I love that idea and hate it both at the same time. I grew up on 5 acres and it. is. work. But work is good and I think having a decent amount of property would give our kids room to play and a place to learn to work. You may think 5 acres is alot...but that is after I talked Eric out of 20+. We have worked so hard to pay this house off so do we reward ourselves by going into more debt for a house that we really don't need? Seriously I think we have a smaller house than most in the area but I think we could fit one more kid in it. Our parents lived in much smaller growing up. Then I think we'd have to buy more furniture to fill up more rooms in a bigger house but why do we need more when what we have now is plenty for us. Then there is the idea of moving all our stuff. It has been so nice not to move every 4 months like I did in college and before I moved to Texas. The only good reason we come up for with moving is being closer to Eric's work. Can you see my dilemma? I even prayed about it (several times) and my answer is "no you don't need to". But still every month we go over the same ideas and search for property. This idea has waste too much of our time. Why can't we get over it...I don't know. So now you know what occupies much of our time.

4 comments:

Kizzie said...

Move to Missouri and be my neighbor. Zion is calling you...
but, seriously. :)

Laura Weight said...

I'm with you about less is more! I kind of like our European style (as I call it) apartment style living.

I feel your pain, its like us, but with buying vs renting (If we were to move to the burbs, it wouldn't be such an issue, but since we live downtown its a tougher issue to choose between). Its been like this the past 2 years. Every couple of months, we sit down and do research, weigh the pros cons, costs, taxes, insurance, house repair costs etc. Since interest rates are lower it makes it more tempting. However, the thought of being so tied down especially in this economy and "hidden costs"/taxes makes me want to puke. I do enjoy not having a Mortgage. Anyway, I see your plight. I think ROb secretly wants a farm. If you ever buy land, We'll be sure to send Benjamin your way to work the land in the summers :)


Congrats to Eric, that is a feat, not just getting a masters but everything else that has happened in between as well.

Lynda said...

I prefer to babysit in Cypress not Conroe!!!!!!!

Emily@emilysleftovers said...

Hi Cari- Ann, This is Emily- Brittany's friend. I hope you don't mind my blog-stalking you =) I really loved reading this post because it reminds me so much of how Brittany talks and write- smart, funny, sassy. My husband and I also want to buy a house, but feel like we are getting answers to our prayers of no. We looked for like 9 months last year and made over 35 offers and not a single one panned out. We really felt like it was a no then...and yet I think about it all the time too and have discussion after discussion about whether or not we should start looking again...it's a major part of my everyday thoughts too...blah