Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Is he really listening?
I once told Eric that I was grossly unqualified for my job. I think my specific words were "I'm a highly uncreative person stuck in a job that requires a person to be highly creative". I'm talking about being a mother. It is a struggle. I'm sure most of you have seen that mormon message going around on facebook from Elder Holland. It was great. I believe the mother says something to the affect of she feels like she needs to teacher her children calculus, reading, physics, and so on before they get to school. If only calculus and physics were a part of that I could do it but anything besides math and science and teaching a toddler is a big big struggle for me. I've settled in on doing school time with Mitchel 3 times a week for about 20 minutes. He always seems to like it and says (skoo time skoo time!) but I don't know what I am doing. We've started doing a letter a week and working on each letter for 2 days of the week and the 3rd day is something different like music time, scriptures stories, or something else that he might be interested in (one day we talk about bones because it was on a show he was watching). I've tried different ways of teaching him and searched high and low on the internet which was really a waste of time because there is way too much info out there. I've finally settled in on helping him make an ABC book with collages. It's not the cutest craftiest thing but atleast he is helping to do it. We have covered M, D, T, and B. I remind him of the sounds and what things start with what letter during the day but still everytime I point to one of them he shouts out "T". Ahhhh! We stamp letters in play dough, we sort foam letters, we play blues clues for things that start with the letters, we color letters. I have to just tell myself that I just gotta do my best and hope that it is good enough. It was about a month ago we talked about bones. I didn't think he was listening as usual because I usually talk while he does some kinda of art project, but last week a picture of a skeleton came on the tv and he pointed and said bones......ah one small success! I'll take it. Motherhood sure pushes me in ways I never thought it would. I can't wait to teach math though....I can handle that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You sound like you're doing an amazing job as a mom! But honestly, don't stress yourself out. Mitchel will pick up things faster than you think and I'm sure he's absorbing it all, but just can't express himself yet. You are doing more than enough for him to be ready for school! Just remember this is coming from a qualified teacher!
When I found out you were starting Preschool time with Mitchell, my first thought was, "really! wow, she must be a really put together mom".
Maybe you are being too hard on yourself? He is still a very little boy. : )
Post a Comment