Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Garden

This year Eric and I decided to try our luck with a garden. Eric was very into it. Sometime back in March he spent a rainy day planting it only to come down with the flu. So luckily he had me at his beckon call. That is all I will say about that. We are both surprised that I haven't been sick since Christmas. It seemed I was sick every month of the first year I moved to Texas.

Anyway...back to the garden. This was the garden back in April.















Doesn't look like much but when you are from Western Washington and nothing grows but black berries I was really excited about this garden. Unfortunately I didn't to do too much with it. Eric was so gun ho on it that unless I jumped on it he did everything before. Since I was pregnant...he did everything. Once I complained that he was having all the fun and he said that I could thin the corn. Wow I was going to get my chance to garden. Well a few days later I went out to do my task to find it had already been thinned by the garden hog! When I reminded Eric that he told me I could thin the corn he miraculously didn't remember saying it...go figure. Oh well it still turned out well. We got about a pound of potatoes and many tiny carrots (next year we'll plant a bigger variety). We also got a few small ears of corn. Our money crop for the season were the cucumbers. Man those things take over. We had tons of them. Well about 30. Here is our prize cucumber...
It was mutant! I guess that is all about our garden. I am happy to report that I have only eaten one Fiber One bar a day since the "incident".

1 comment:

Mari said...

Oh I'm so jealous! I want a garden so bad! Now if I could just find a house to live in that would let me grow one that would be awesome...