Monday, October 20, 2008

Adventures In Nauvoo

Many of you may be wondering what happened to me last week...or many of you have not even noticed. But I will go ahead and say it. We were out of town. Yup we took a trip to Nauvoo. I was so excited to go. I had been asking Eric to ask his family if they all wanted to go together but he didn't. Finally his sister said they were going for fall break and we joined along with his parents and his brother. It was awesome! It was a 9 hour drive to Tulsa where we met up with his sister and then 10 to Nauvoo. Mitchel did so great. He mostly slept with a couple of melt downs. But all in all I was pretty pleased with his actions. Only problem was we started him on rice cereal a few days before and that kinda opened the flood gates for some stuff I'll just say.

Ah I have so much to write about and no patience to do it. We were only in Nauvoo for 2 days and if we would have planned a little better we could have seen all we wanted to but we kinda lost time the first day. The first day we were able to go to a few buildings. Probably one of favorites was the Browning Gunsmith Shop. It was really interesting to see how they made the guns. Here is a picture of the boys on the tour.

Actually first thing we did was taking the wagon tour through the town. It was nice but pretty cold at 10 AM. Here are a few pics.

After the wagon ride we walked around for a few hours and saw the gunsmith and bakery and a few demonstrations at the family living center. That night we took Grandma to the temple to take some family pictures. They didn't turn out great but some were cute. It is such a beautiful temple.




That night we were able to go to the Temple. It was so nice and relaxing. I did have an incident where I almost went into the men's dressing room...darn that attendant why didn't he tell me. I was a little embarrassed but got over it...I guess.


On day two we were much more organized. We started the day with the Community of Christ (formerly RLDS) tour of all the Smith family owned buildings. It was all pretty cool and crazy to think we were standing where Joseph Smith once stood. We also went to the brick shop where Mitchel became the proud owner of a Nauvoo brick as seen at top. We went on the oxen ride for about 3 mins. They just went in a circle. I love the two old Elders running it though. They were great!




We walked down a part of the trail where the pioneers left Nauvoo and we also saw John Taylor and Brigham Young's house. I love those senior missionaries. They were great. One lady was a little off and told us that Joseph Smith approves every missionary that comes to Nauvoo...ya I don't know about that. That evening we went to Carthage to see the jail. That was sobering.


Our last adventure was seeing a musical put on by the senior missionaries. It was quite entertaining. Luckily Mitchel slept through the whole thing so I could see all of it. It was a really nice trip. Hardly anyone was there and we could all go off in our own directions and meet up for stuff without wasting alot of time. Mitchel did really well. I'll just post some random pictures of Mitchel with his cousins.


2 comments:

Teresa Johnson said...

Cute pics! I'll bet Nauvoo was great! You'll have to check out my blog... http://tdrjohnson.blogspot.com/

Kizzie said...

Awesome, I love Nauvoo and Carthage! It looks like you guys had fun!
my brother lives about a block from the temple so we used to go there all the time, there's so much to see there. You'd need to stay for a week to get it all in!