Monday, June 1, 2009

Who Needs a Parent Anyways???

I was totally appalled with this contraption I saw at Target the other day. Seriously?!?!?! PARENTS READ TO YOUR KIDS!

Here are some exerts from this product on amazon.com. I highlighted the best parts. I'd like to hear some teacher opinions on this.

A unique touch and talk device that brings stories to life, the Tag Reading System works with a library of books and games from LeapFrog. Funny voice-overs and cool sound effects add to the fun of discovery, helping ensure that children four to eight love the way this interactive, educational system boosts their confidence and their reading level.

They can pick between starting a story at the beginning and having it read all the way through, playing a page at a time, or reading themselves and using the Tag reader to hear single, tricky words spoken aloud. This last option inspires kids to try reading books they might otherwise avoid, since the Tag reader is always there to help them out.

The Learning Path can help you keep up with their progress. This parent-centered section of the LeapFrog connect computer application allows you to download education information from the reader to your computer and track your child's progress. Use it to help customize your child's unique learning journey and celebrate educational milestones.

4 comments:

eliza said...

this is just a very expensive substitute for reading to your kids! I totally agree with you and parents need to read to and with their kids! Reading is not just reading; it's the quality time too. also, it's super expensive, i'm sure and definitely not worth it! Kids today are already exposed to so much technology that it wouldn't hurt to pick up a book and read it the ol' fashion way!!! There. I said it. A teacher's opinion. =)

Samantha said...

This is ridiculous!

S. Fantasia said...

Oh poo. You make me laugh sometimes. There are more sides to many issues and inventions than one...toys included. We have this very expensive toy on suggestion from Jami Vest (a very great, non neglectful mother). I would like to point out (and I don't know about Samantha) that two of the three of you complaining about this amazing product only have 1 child - and a young child, at that. For me, that is enough excuse in mind as to why you don't understand its genius yet. In time you'll see, I'm sure of it. When your kid is a bit older and you have two more to divide your time amongst you'll appreciate this EDUCATIONAL toy. I don't know many moms that have all day, everyday to read to their little bookworms, myself included. We have a whole library of other books and have reading time each day but Dean would never let it end if he had his choice. Plus, these books do more than just read the story. You can click on anything on any page and it makes sounds, teaches phonics and alphabet letters, and gives instructions. It even asks questions about the story. Awesome. Trust me, if you tried it you would love it. Even for the price (though I got it as a gift because I am too cheap to ever pay that price probably).

You are WAY off the mark on this one. I kinda want to bring it over so you can try it. Seriously, I don't know anyone (or any teacher for that matter) who wouldn't love this product if they actually understood it.

(I sound like a commercial but I am just seriously shocked at this post and the comments. I can tell you guys have never seen what it can really do. You're all crazy.) :o)

S. Fantasia said...

Oh, and another thing because I forgot to mention this, I don't think it is intended to replace parent-to-child reading. It is meant to enhance it by allowing children to use the remaining play time they have in their days that would perhaps be used to play blocks, dolls, cars, etc., to be spent with this pen and a book as well OR EVEN BETTER instead. Pretend play is important so why would independent reading and learning. After all, I think hearing a book electronically read to you in your off time is much more productive and educational than crashing a couple cars together. I would prefer it in my house. We have a good mix of both.

One more level of thought (for the teachers)...how many kids learn best just by one method? I submit that answer to that as being none. My children respond better to other people, techniques and medias because it just solidifies what they hear from me. This book falls into that same category. When they are sick of hearing mom and losing interest, they can turn to this contraption and take charge of what they want to hear, read and learn.

This is an EXCEPTIONAL well-thought-out toy. Kudos to its creators because I guarantee that had theirs, mine and your children in mind.