For a while now I've really been wanting to start cake decorating. I wanted to take the Wilton class but haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully I will. I want to be able to make really cute cakes for my kids. Mitchel is about to turn 1. I can't believe. He is getting too old...makes me sad but that is another story. Today I did a practice run for a birthday cake. I really like the rolled fondant look and using my trusty internet I found a video of how to frost a cake with it. It didn't turn out perfect....AT ALL but I didn't think it was too bad for a first try. I'm pretty sure I will never be perfect at it. I have a serious problem with getting the cake layers all level...oh well. On this cake I made a ganache filling. It's pretty good but I think I'll use milk chocolate next time. I also probably should have let it set up a little more before assembling the cake. While putting the butter cream frosting on the top layer kept sliding off and pushing the filling down the side so my frosting was butter cream/ganache.
The fondant frosting was easier that I thought it would be although I didn't do a good job...I was just pleased I didn't have to scrap the whole thing. Down side....it tastes AWFUL. I tried flavoring it with almond but it still tasted weird. But on the cake it kinda blends in.
So here is my cake:


I want to do Mitchel's birthday party with a cowboy theme. I really want to make a two layer cake red and blue with a bandanna paisley pattern on it. Like the bottom layer of this cake. I think I will need some more practice but it was a fun all day project.
6 comments:
The cake looks great! Fondant looks so nice but, I agree, it tastes TERRIBLE! Very well done for a first attempt! You are definitely better than me!! :)
Very good! I use to work at a bakery and the fondant was yum! Maybe I can get the recipe for you! With that said I think you should probably stick to making yule log cakes. Do you remember the peanut? Or was it a piece of corn? I can't remember! Lol
the fondant looks great! So how did you make it? Or did you buy it? But frosting, in general, tastes awful. It's just for looks. I think I should do some practice runs on cake too!
I think that you did a fantastic job! I too would like to be a great cake decorator(I think it'd be an awesome job)...maybe I'll practice someday! I have to say that the fondant that I've had tastes awful, but I'm sure there is some out there that tastes good! Well done! :o)
Funny....i was just looking up fondant info on youtube the other day. weird.
I've always wanted to try fondant, yours looks good. Maybe I'll have to practice for Jack's birthday!
Post a Comment