Monday, April 27, 2009

Life of Pi

The last four days I spent on a reading binge. Reading every second I could really. I read the 400 page Life of Pi. That is pretty fast for me. I told Eric if only I enjoyed reading this much in high school English classes. It would have saved me (and probably my mom) alot of grief. I thought the book was pretty interesting. It just amazes me how anyone can come up with story lines like this. Lately I have read books to get some adventure in my life. Its nice to escape to some far off place.

I don't like to think too much about what this or that means but I did read some reviews and notes about the book and its themes. One theme that I liked was that we are creatures of habit and work. Pi's ordeal was only bearable for him when he worked and kept his mind busy. Lately I feel what he means. Going from school to full time job then stay at home mom has definitely been a change for me. But I did find that creating work habits has helped to make my time enjoyable and meaningful.

Another idea from the book was what are our boundaries in life and death situation and what we will or won't do to survive. Eric was lucky enough to get the jist of the story from me on our Sunday walk. I told him "man if I were in that situation I think I would kill myself". Apparently I am of the adapt and survive nature. I learned that there are some things that are worth fighting for and you need to do all you can to work with what you got. Don't give up. Especially to push yourself out of your comfort zone. So hard for me. I love my comfy pjs but sometimes I just need to take the plunge and take a shower and put on real clothes during the day.

All in all good book and (if you want to take the time to learn from it) good insight into survival physically and emotionally.

On a side note....as I was sitting in bed reading one night Eric came over and I started telling him more about the book. I'm sure I was giving more that he wanted to know but oh well. I raised my arm over my head to scratch my head or something as I blabbed. Eric so kindly said "uh honey...I think you stinky...bo or something". Oh man I was so embarrassed. He walked off in the middle of my story and I sniffed. I didn't smell it. I made him take a wiff again. He didn't smell it either. I have come to the conclusion that it was his lame attempt to get out of listening to me although he claims he is not that clever.

No comments: